A while back I noticed my sister, her husband and kids got a kick out of something I said to Toot. I didn't think anything of what I was saying because I said it 100 times a day. When Toot would reach for something that was clearly not for toddlers, I'd tell her, "That's not Tootie's" then pick her up and move her to something that was pro-toddler. They all would laugh when I said this...and I guess it is kind of funny. In addition to lots of things not for Tootie, there are lots of things Toot would like to do, but to her extreme dismay can't, such as...
Tootie would like to use my pink Sharpie at her own discretion. She'd also like to sleep with her cowboy hat on but can't find a way for it to sit on her head as she lies down (that really gets her goat). Toot would also like to have free reign of Georgia's room even though she has an entire playroom at her disposal where nothing is off-limits. She also bolts for the open refrigerator so she can sit on the bottom...when you try to lure her out to close the door she turns red in the face and goes limp. Tootie would also like to take a bath 10 times a day and ride my exercise bike 20 times a day.
Here are some things that are not Tootie's, but she often wishes they were: any and all writing utensils, my wallet, my purse, Georgia's wallet and purse, playing cards, cell phones, spatulas, drink coasters, the computer, photo albums, coins in the container in my bedroom closet, the toilet plunger, Wii remotes and everything on the entertainment center.
The toddler years are fun because this is when kids do lots of growing and learning in a short period of time. But along with the fun in watching them discover the world and begin to have understanding, are the challenges these years present. Parents find themselves spending lots of time chasing their toddler around, picking up behind them and using the eyes in the back of their head because the baby moves faster than lightning. I remember when Georgia was about two, feeling exasperated at trying to keep up with the demands of a toddler. I often felt inadequate when it came to picking up after her, keeping her on some semblance of a schedule and making sure she had proper "kid socialization," etc... I tried hard to keep her face clean and changed her clothes often to make sure she appeared neat and clean. I ran myself silly keeping the toys from cluttering the floor of our little Holiday Rambler. (Growing up with a grandmother who by today's social labeling would be considered a bit on the O.C.D. side, resulted in my strict routine in how I cleaned the trailer.) One day, I remember coming back to the trailer from town and Georgia was sitting on the floor surrounded by toys. The trailer was so small and there wasn't a lot of floor space. For a second I got that familiar touch of "look at all this stuff all over the floor" anxiety. But it quickly went away and was replaced by the realization that, "I LIVE here." It's not always going to look like a hotel room. It's ok if there are toys on the floor because we LIVE here.
Looking back, I may have spent too much time cleaning up after, looking after and tending to all those logisitcal things parents of toddlers preoccupy themselves with. I probably should have spent more time playing with, getting dirty with and being a kid with Georgia back then.
Well, I can say, lesson learned. While I certainly don't profess to be the perfect parent by any strectch, I do the best I can with what I've learned over the years. My house doesn't look like a hotel all the time, (don't tell my grandmother! lol) but I certainly don't mind seeing Toot's Gabba guitar on the floor along with her collection of blocks and books. I don't stress too much about these things these days because in the back of my mind I know that in no time Toot will be 7 going on 8 (like Georgia). And there will come a day when I wish I was picking up after her instead of keeping the boys away from her. Someday soon the things that aren't Toot's won't be playing cards and pens but my make up and clothes. And now I have truly come to appreciate the fact that both my kids want mom's company, because it won't be long until hanging out with me won't be cool.
When Georgia was born my sister told me to soak up every moment because newborns grow so fast. At 7 and almost 2, I have had to relearn to soak up every moment.
"We promised your mom we'd look after you kids." - Arnold Barr

LOL!!!!!" Is it Tootie's?" is one of my favorite games of all times! So when Tootie is 13 and reaches for a pair of your heels or a tube of lipstick are you still gonna say "dat not Tootie's!"?
ReplyDeleteSimone
I know...it's one of my most often played 'games'!! LOL! She's keeping us hopping! When I hear that familiar sound of calamity coming from the other room, I thinkg to myself, "That must be Tootie!!"
ReplyDeleteI've been a "brother" to John Moss since we met on Ringling concessions in 1984. I phoned him Saturday morning for news of Kelly Miller, the McCoys, etc. and he told me of your new blog. This morning (Sunday) I signed on just after you posted the family history. Very touching. I am joining a church in Newport RI this morning in a brief ceremony. A first for me.
ReplyDeleteEd Duffield
Hello Ed! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Congratualtions on joining a church family! I have a wonderful one here at home...I miss them a lot when we are traveiling. If you noticed my links I highly recommend clicking on the In Touch ministries link. It is the ministry of Dr. Charles Stanley. He's an incredible Baptist minister out of Atlanta. (I've actually had the pleasure of visiting his church! ) You may have seen him on t.v. I've been following Dr. Stanley's ministry for 12 years and have never found his sermons straying for the word of God. If you take the time to check out In Touch, let me know what you think.
ReplyDeleteThanks again for taking time to read my writings! Take care and stay in touch.