Friday, February 4, 2011

Indoor Practice & Update on Pete

It was another cold morning but we have warmer temperatures coming this weekend. 
I've been a little behind in my dog practice with this weather so I brought the practicing indoors. Only my two new Spitz ran through some behaviors. They weren't sure what to make of being inside while going through their tricks but they caught on quickly. Eventually they will understand that it doesn't matter where they are or what is going on around them, they must mind their manners and pay attention to my directions.  I hope to get these ladies incorporated in my act asap. I will be happy if they are just seat warmers for a few weeks.
They are green but seem to be quick learners!  Dixie II and Charlotte are wonderful and welcome additions to my group of dogs. Dixie's seat trained and sitting up nicely. She's  pushing the baby carriage and rolling the barrel.  She's not exactly burnt up with energy so I use lots of hot treats to get her attention!  She'll look really nice sitting in the middle of the line up since she is the largest weighing in at about 45lbs.  Charlotte is a mini Spitz and is pretty as a picture.  She will take Dixie I's place in the line up and sit far left.  She's seat trained and learning to sit up quickly.  She wants to walk backwards naturally on her hind legs, so I will refine that behavior and work it into the routine.  She is not a jumper whatsoever, so I will have to think hard of some different tricks this lady could learn.  I have a third addition my canine crew...a little Jack Russell terrier mix name Holly.  She's full of bounding energy and sweet as can be.  She barks tough but raises the white flag very quickly.  She's solid white with brown ears and reminds me of the R.C.A. dog. 
A natural jumper, she may wind up being the "bad" dog in the act who reaks foolishness and mayhem!



Update on Pete...
Pete has pemphigus...and autoimmune disorder that is treatable with medication.  I am happy that he has several more healthy years ahead of him.  The vet says his new medication is acting quickly and he should be back to his old self in no time.  This disorder is long term, but with the proper medicines, he will be a-OK right away!  I look forward to having my class clown back tomorrow!! :) 

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's  best friend." - Corey Ford

"What were dogs millions of years ago? Wild wolves, right? They know how to hunt and fish and look for shelter. And they got this fur, see? It keeps them warm and dry in the winter and cool in the summer. They're set up a lot better than people as far as that goes. They can't get hit by lightning. You know why? Cause they're low to the ground. Now if they was giraffes out there, then we'd be in trouble. Cause giraffes are tall, see. And dogs look after their own. Giraffes don't though. They just go around looking after number one...gettin' hit by lightning....BOY, GIRAFFES ARE SELFISH!"
- Barney Fife explaining to Opie why the dogs he dropped of in the "middle of nowheres" will be fine during a rain storm




2 comments:

  1. I knew you guys would appreciate the lines from the Andy Griffith Show! LOL

    ReplyDelete