Friday, February 18, 2011

Family Time

  It's been a fun and busy couple of days with my family.  I always have the best time when we all get together.  My nieces & nephews are always a delight to spend time with and it's cool to see how much they've grown and changed during the time we are apart.  But this year we'll spend the entire season together.  We are all looking forward to family outings, girl time and even a shopping spree or two...or ten. 
  I really appreciate working along side my family, and sharing the announcing duties with Simone is always the best!  Since we have one of the best ringmasters in the business in our bloodline, we have a knack for almost reading each other's minds when it comes to pitches, stalls, acts' announcements, etc...Not to mention we, like my dad, love to try to make each other crack up while the other one's working. I've come close to getting to Simone, but she's an oak on the microphone. Uncrackable! 
  I, on the other hand have been known to be a little less oak-like...no real major crack ups and by now I can tell when something is going to happen to make me lose it & laugh...so I can turn away and quickly go on without missing a beat.  Although my closest call came from Tavana who casually joked while leaving the ring...I quickly brought on the next act and ran back stage to laugh uncontrollably with her!  I laughed so hard that to make sure the audience would never hear, I took the batteries out of the mic.  There have been a few clowns over the years who know just what to say to get a reaction out of me during their gag. It's only by the grace of God have I been able to finish the gag without completely doubling over in laughter!  My dad did tell me once I'd have to expect the unexpected during the show (be on my toes) but to just make the announcing fun...it's guaranteed to be a riot working with Simone!
  The other thing we are looking forward to this season is the famous C & M cookhouse ran by non other than my sister Robin!  I'm already thinking about an exercise routine to help combat the weight I anticipate gaining...cuz the food is THAT GOOD!  Seconds & thirds are commonplace at the cookhouse.  I can smell the oven fried chicken from here!!  (Seriously, when Robin tells me oven fried chicken is on the dinner menu, I starve myself all day to make sure I can fill up, and up and up on it!)  Jello cakes & marble cakes & banana cakes, OH MY!
  I anticipate summer spent at the city pools & parks with the kids and I  hope to take a trip with the whole family to the Mall of America when we get in the area.  It's been few years since we've been there, but Georgia & I are already making a list of stores to visits!  Eddie Bauer Home, Pottery Barn Kids, Pottery Barn, Hannah Andersson, etc, etc, etc,  :D  And of course there are the rides...:)
  This winter has gone by pretty fast and the seasons on the show go by like the proverbial shot.  Being in a different town everyday speeds time up like crazy.  I sometimes feel like I am racing with the clock to get everything done before it's time to get ready for the show.  But this season, racing with the clock won't seem so daunting since we get to spend lots of time with my family!
   
 Here's one of most requested dishes from Robin's cookhouse:
IDAHO TACOS
Large baking potatoes
Taco seasoned beef
Shredded cheese
Shredded lettuce
Tomatoes, diced
Sour Cream
Salsa
Guacamole

Bake large potatoes at 350 degrees @ 1 to 1 1/2 hours.  Spilt length-wise down the middle and open up to accommodate toppings.  ENJOY!

"You can hear the gnashing of teeth and the clashing of silverware." - Phil Chandler

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! I am going to make these for hubby and I. We love stuff like this. LOL IN fact, we love all food....boy do these recipes sound good....and something different for us to try. Thanks Natalie!

    ReplyDelete