Sunday, February 13, 2011

Circus Mom's Mom & Dad


Kathy 1970
 Since I was about four or five I knew I wanted to be in the circus.  Some of my earliest memories are of seeing my dad perform his magic act and ringmaster for Hoxie Bros. and Carson & Barnes.  (To this day people still comment about the elaborate Wizard of Oz themed magic routine Dad put together for Carson & Barnes.)  When my sister Lauren & I were very young, we'd play circus in the back yard at our grandparents' house.  I would start the show pretending to be my dad as ringmaster and announce, "The 1975 edition of the Hoxie Bros.Circus!"  (Little did I know I would follow in those footsteps many years later.  I did NOT set out to be an announcer, it happened very much by chance.)  Then I would climb on the very top of our swing set where Lauren was already perched waiting for me to "ride the elephants" with her.  Then she'd usually get on the trapeze bar or something and I'd hop on the two-seated ride that slid back & forth and pretend to be ZoeAnna Henry.  Although, I have to admit, my favorite of all performers was the glamorous Margurita Michelle.  I can remember her act from start to finish, even the music sticks in my memory. (Who could forget the theme to Hawaii-50?) 
 Back in the 1960's, my dad and his business partner travelled the country performing their ghost shows in theaters.  The performance included everything from big scary illusions like the burned alive to the showing of horror movies (usually The House on Haunted Hill). There was a 'seance' where the audience would "feel spirits" touch their shoulders during a black-out and an appearance by the featured monster.  Usually no one knew what the featured monster was until they referenced the marquee in front of the theater.  Featured monsters included "Gargantua the Gorilla", Frankenstein's monster or sometimes my dad would dress as Count Dracula.  (He made a convincing Dracula.)  In every town they'd take an ad out in the local newspaper for the temporary position of a magician's assistant.  I don't remember him mentioning having problems getting help...who wouldn't want easy money for a night's work as a glamorous "box jumper"?  One rainy day during set-up a pretty blond answered their ad.  She came into the theater and approached my dad about the help wanted ad.  After one quick glance at the girl who looked like a "drowned rat," he pawned her off on his partner to deal with. He told me that later when he saw her ready for the show it was,. "love at first sight."  He told his partner he was going to marry her.
  I'm certain when 16 year old Kathy Parson, from Terre Haute, Indiana answered the newspaper ad, she had no idea she would get a glimpse into what the next 10 years of her future would hold.  There are conflicting stories as to how long they knew each other before they married.  I've heard a week and I've heard a month.  In any case, it wasn't a long time before my dad made good on what he told his business partner.
  After the ghost show circuit died out my parents traveled with tent shows.  Dad of course ring mastered and they performed their magic act while Mom also performed show girl routines: web, swinging ladder, etc.  During the 10 years they were together there were five kids and a few attempts at town life.  My dad actually did a brief stint managing a drive-in theater.  He hated town life and never lasted long in it.  My mom had had enough of the road which led to their ultimate amicable split.  They remained friends until she passed away in 1980.  We'd often see my dad if the show he was with came close to Dayton.  He'd also spend the winters in Ohio and visited us kids frequently around the holidays.
Phil 2002

  My dad worked his entire adult life in show business.  He used to tell me he wanted to work until he died.  He pretty much got his wish.  Dad passed away October 10th, 2002, only 10 days after he closed with Hendricks Bros.  Many years of smoking led to a multitude of health complications, one of which included oxygen levels in the brain being compromised.  Because of this, he would have occasional delusions and act out getting ready for his magic act.  He was really in my sister's living room, but in his mind he was on the show.  He went to sleep one night and didn't wake up.  My brother, sisters and I count it a blessing that Dad died peacefully in his sleep and "on the circus."
  His ashes were spread in Colon, Michigan near Abbot's Magic shop and the graves of Harry Blackstone, Sr. and Jr.  Our mom is buried near our old home in Springfield, Ohio.



"I knew I wanted to be a magician from the time I was three years old."  - Phil Chandler

"I'd just had enough of the road, that's all." - Kathy Barone

10 comments:

  1. That is a totally fascinating story of your family history. Thanks, Nat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Margaret and Jack...I enjoyed writing this entry a lot. I can remember my dad telling me the story of how he & our mom met many times...along with many other hilarious stories from his ghost show days. He was a great story-teller and almost made you feel like you were stepping back in time as he spoke.
    I miss them very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember how we used towels tied around our necks and they were our "capes" and we would walk around the yard like we were in "Spec"...LOL...Boy, those were they days, huh?

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted that Nat - it stopped me asking many questions about the Chandler family that would have seen me put my big foot right in it!!

    In this part of the world we only got to hear about Phil Chandler from the old Circus Reports and the fan's mags so I assumed that your Mum must have been a lady by another name. I don't think that I ever did hear of Kathy Chandler.

    For people like me who are interested in the history of the circus, anywhere in the world, that was a great bio - thanks.

    I look forward to more Chandlerisms in the months to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Lauren, I forgot all about the "spec"! How did we make it out of the house with Grandma's towels??LOL!

    Steve, I am glad you enjoyed this post. Most people aren't aware that Linda Chandler, my dad's second wife is our step-mother. My parents parted ways around 1971-2. For a small town girl, our mom dove right into the circus business like a pro. And have no fear...I plan on an entire entry consisting of Chandlerisms and their meanings! Thanks again and take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting history. I had never heard many of these stories before! Thank you for sharing Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Dar...I know I haven't really shared too many of my dad's old stories... there are tons of good ones and I could never tell them with the humor and expression of Dad. My sisters, brother and I like to say, you didn't meet our dad, you experienced him! We say that in love and humor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! Natalie, you are a "born writer and story teller"....You are so talented and amazing and beautiful!! Great great blog and stories. Thanks for sharing with us. I am so proud of you and all you are doing to stay busy and strong. God bless you and the girls and the puppies as your new life begins. I love the bloG!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, Thank you so very much for the kind words! You're so sweet! I have enjoyed writing for my blog and this is probably my favorite entry. My parents were very special people (if I do say so myself! lol!) and they instilled a love for show business in all of us kids. We all think about and speak of them often. My dad I still often refer to in the present tense, as his spirit is still very much alive to all of us kids. I am very glad you are enjoying the blog, and stay tuned for more entries coming up from the road!
    Love to you all!

    ReplyDelete