Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chandlerisms


CHANDLERISMS
The first Installment

  When my sisters, brother and I started to compile the list of the sayings, expressions, etc., our dad said most often, these were the top 4:
"At any rate...", "All like this...", "This, that & the other...", "...this sort of thing..."
Dad would often interject one of these phrases to give himself more time to think about what he was going to say.  He'd use these phrases so often, that it became kind of a running joke for us kids to repeat to each other to make each other laugh...all in love though!

Miscellaneous
"You go to your church, I'll go to mine." (don't try to impress your opinions/beliefs on another person too much, you might drive them away)
"There's nothing worse that a reformed anything." (referring to people who constantly talk about their old habits & how they reformed)
"They sat there like an oil painting." (larry audience that doesn't applaud)
"Dumber than a soup sandwich."
"Gillifant" (something that does work properly...mine & my sisters' personal favorite expression)
"What's the prescribed method of opening/using/operating this thing?"
"Weaker than pond water."
"Go with what you got."
"Come out blazing like Sunset Carson." (he often said this when he opened with a larry card when we played Spades)
"Lay on McDuff" (when traffic was clear to go)
"Macy's doesn't tell Gimble's what they're doing."
"Don't tell the doctor how to perform surgery."
"You know your business better than me."
"You're a victim of media hype!" (someone who believes everything they read in rag magazines.)

         
 Chandlerisms referring to someone who's passed on to the nether world:
"The doctor drew a long face"
"Threw snake eyes"
"Drew a deep six"
"Dirt nap"

                                      Lines from movies:
"Tighter than dick's hat band" (John Wayne - True Grit)
"You think so or you know so, the maid only comes in once." (Walter Matthau - Sunshine Boys)
"Drunker than Cooter Brown" (Debra Winger - Urban Cowboy)
"Why should I try 5 after 2:00, when it's 10:15." (Walter Matthau - Sunshine Boys)
"The baseball bat or New Jersey?" (Walter Matthau - Sunshine Boys)
"Mama, my legs are sweatin.'" (Debra Winger - Urban Cowboy - ATTN: ZSA ZSA!)

   We've compiled over 350 and over the last 9 years and we still come up with a new one to add to the list once in a while.  There are lots of friends who have told us over the years that Dad had a favorite movie line or expression he shared exclusively with them.   If you knew him, you know he loved to laugh and make people laugh.  While most of these expressions are funny and ring with truth in and of themselves, no one could say them with the expression and humor of my dad.

              "You can either laugh or cry." - Phil Chandler






8 comments:

  1. Love the Chandlerisms! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jack! It's been fun compiling the list for the blog. Several people mentioned posting them when I first started this. There are so many that it will require several installments! lol! Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natalie - I enjoyed them.

    Some of those are in use in Australia too. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you'd get a kick out of those...stay tuned for more later!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, what a great collection of quips, quotes, and wisdom. "Does Macys tell Gimbels... was a pretty common New Yorkism in the hey day of Union Square shopping, and may gave been used in the original Miracle on 34th St. film.

    Keep'em coming, we all need words to live by.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ben! Glad you enjoyed my list! Yes, my sisters and I were talking about how some of the Chandlerisms are not original, but were "made famous" by Dad. LOL! Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you use the word Larry alot I suppose that it means something not that great...as in a larry audience...(not that many)...being with you guys was the first time I ever heard that expression. When you run into alot of traffic it suddenly becomes "5th and broadway" and back up until you hear glass breaking, or if you don't like someone you could kick a hole in their chest! When you said that to your dad I laughed until I cryed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's correct Aunt Penny, "larry" refers to anything or anyone who does't work (properly) or is defective in some way. Dad also used the term "giliffant" kind of interchangably. The phrase about backing up was one that I had thought of after I published this entry but I will certainly include it on the next one!
    Glad my dad kept you smiling while you spent time on the show! :) Love to your whole gang!

    ReplyDelete