Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Stocking Up and Pleasant Reminders

  At the end of yesterday, I planned for today and referred to the rather long list I had compiled of places to go and things to purchase that are necessary for the season and my fridge.  It's 13 miles to town, so I do everything I can to do everything I can while I'm in town.  Thanks to the combined baby sitting efforts of my baby-loving niece Lana and Georgia, I managed to get every errand ran and every item on my list picked up in the most timely of manners.  I was pleasantly surprised every time I checked the time.  I even sailed through that necessary evil, as my sister Robin refers to it, Wal-Mart in no time.
  Since we have extra storage room in the garage portion of the trailer I've made an effort to stock up on dry goods, dog food and shavings.  I always say that every time I unhitch, I spend money.  Not just in purchases but in fuel.  Not only that, those errands take time away from my kids.  I am hoping that I can stick to stocking up all season so I can save time and of course money.  It works in theory.  
  Sometimes I think I should buy stock in TSC.  They do have the best price on dog food, shavings and kennels.  They are also the only place I know of that sells the perfectly sized white round bungee cords I use ( and sometime lose or break ) to quickly connect the panels of my dog cage.  It's always an easy & quick check out and they are closer than any other feed store and the quality is better than Wal-Mart. 
  I did remember to make a stop at Auto Zone to pick up a couple of head light bulbs.  I love my truck and I dare not complain one single bit about it.  But...the driver's side head light seems to go out at least once, sometimes twice a year.  I managed to remember to buy a couple of these bulbs even though the auto part store was not on my list.  The last jump of the season in 2011 was an 80 mile night jump.  I didn't realize I had a head light out ( driver's side of course ) until late in the afternoon when the auto part stores were already closed.  15 miles from destination, I got pulledv over...a head light was out.  That extra bulb I bought today should prevent another $88.00 ticket.
  Camper Dan's is out of town but not too awfully far from where I ran other errands today.  I picked up a supply of interior bulbs and a much needed commode gasket.  I passed by a display of water pumps on sale and thought for a moment I should pick one up...just in case.  The thought came and went quickly.  However, when I got home, I wished I had given more thought to buying one of those pumps and taken action to buy it...what do you know, my water pump had gone out while I was gone.  
  A few stops later and a few purchases for prop decoration supplies and groceries, I made it home around 3:00.  The weather had warmed up and I had a couple hours to work on painting and decorating my dog seats before I took the girls to the dinner I had promised ( if their good behavior continued, which it did ) to Applebee's.  Kids eat free on Tuesdays, you know! ;)  With the recent arrival of my family from Brickle's South Carolina tour we welcomed Lana to all of our delights! Let the girly giggles and Monster High doll primping commence! :)
  After a delightful and mostly free dinner at Applebee's ( yes, we got the artichoke/spinach dip ;) ) the girls made mention, in the most delightfully girly way, of a visit to every pre-teen's favorite boutique, Claire's.  It's not far from Applebee's and easy to get to.  Since the girls were quite well-behaved and a big help in caring for and occupying Tootie today, I decided to indulge them with a swing by Georgia's "favorite store ever."  We were their only patrons, so we navigated between their over-packed and over-stuffed jewelry and knick knack racks with ease.  The racks in the back displayed tons of dollar clearance merchandise.  With the clerk's help I found some cup cake and flower clip-ons for Toot and a princess crown with a letter "E" pendant (for Evelyn, her middle name) on a necklace.   She modeled her new bling glamorously in the truck and the older girls didn't make it out of the parking lot without first donning the 3-way "rock, paper, scissors-best friends forever" necklaces.  By older girls, I mean Georgia, Lana and me. ;) 
  During one of my errands today I passed a sign that stopped me in my quickly paced tracks.  It displayed one of my constant refrains; a simple message that is also profound and wise by which to live.  The sign taught a lesson that I was taught at a young age and have tried to teach my girls. Speaking for myself, this bit of wisdom did not sink into my heart until passed middle age.  But that's ok, better learned, than never.  "It's not having what you want, but wanting what you have."  I thought to myself how thankful I am to have to run errands, to have to make purchases for the necessary things for the season and for my fridge. And I am thankful to have to work on props. Most of all, and most valuable of all, I am thankful to spend time with giggly girls picking over the dollar racks at Claire's.  Yes, I do want what I have, I want to do what I have to do and I absolutely want those giggly girls I have.  
  By the way, that sign was also a necessary purchase.

2 comments:

  1. Nat, your comment about unhitching means that you are going to spend money is so true. I have made that same statement many times. I deliberately try to unhitch as seldom as possible & try to accomplish as many tasks as I can--in the time that I have--before I have to be back on the lot. More relaxed shopping occurs only during the winter months while I am home. You have to be a very organized person to accomplish all the tasks that you have checked off your "to do" list this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Le Brone! It's nice to hear from you! I hope you are doing well! Thank you for keeping up with my writing! :) Yes, it's the eternal quest to unhitched as little as possible and to race with the clock and catch a nap! Lol! :) Have a great year and keep in touch! :)

    ReplyDelete