The 2012 season opened in the middle of last month. Here it is well into April and as usual the time on the road goes by like a shot. We started off with some rain but the lots as of late have been flat & green and the crowds decent in size and generous with the applause.
We took off for the first date in Oklahoma the day before opening so everyone had plenty of time to settle in and prepare for the the following day's matinee shows. I had the pleasure of welcoming some of my friends from church on opening day. It usually makes most performers a little jittery working with friends in the audience, but all went well in the opening performances, even the Pete II's debut. His excitement and energy made me a little extra cautious but Pete wound up performing every behavior perfectly.
The show's running time is a good 90 minutes and includes a variety of acts. April's rolla bolla warms the crowd up quickly as she stacks up to 5 layers on her cylinder and board. I have the pleasure of assisting her this season and we have some extra fun as we discreetly make silly inside jokes to each other. She IS Phil Chandler's granddaughter...awesome sense of humor in the genes. DJ Weiss eagerly works three clown spots in the show and does a fine job keeping smiles of every one's faces. Two of his routines require audience participation and he has no trouble getting folks to help him out. He wins the crowd over right away with his kid-like demeanor. This is DJ's first mud show and he's adapted quickly to its fast pace. The coolest thing about this 20 year old is to see him put such effort and heart into what he does. I predict he'll go far in the circus business. This is the second season for my niece Paulina's big & little. If you know Bubbie, you know she lives and breaths for horses. She's been running the pony ride on the show for many years (even pounding stakes along side her dad) and is a stickler for detail when it comes to the care of all equine critters. I've seen her carefully wipe the dust out of the ponies' nostrils and patiently braid the manes of Wyatt and Jasmine, her performers. Being a detail-oriented person myself, I appreciate how the color her wardrobe perfectly matches the color of the bridles and the flowers in her hair match the flowers in the horses' manes. Simone helps Mel Ray out in the whip cracking act again this year. MR is fun to be around and easy to get along with in and out of the ring, so she gets a kick out of holding the targets for his act. The act's cracking, snapping and fast pace keeps the show upbeat and moving right along. Lana , who turned 12 in February has been working the family's bird act for a few years now. It's been my pleasure to see this act performed by Simone, Paulina and now Lana. Her flowing dresses and pretty hair pieces add to the gentle feminine tone of the fan-tailed birds routine. One of my very favorite things about ring mastering on this show is to watch my brother-in-law Ron perform with all the kids in the family's unicycle act. Over the years he has one by one taught each of the kids how to ride. They manage to effortlessly peddle their unicycles of all sizes over large plywood panels. Although the stage is hinged together some of the unlevel lots create an unlevel riding area. If Ron or any of the kids strain to keep the cycles rolling, you'd never know it. Their routines change from time to time and are always, intricate, impressive and smooth. Not to mention fun to watch. Even twice a day, everyday. ;) Simone's single trapeze is as strong and smooth as ever and is always delivered traditionally and professionally. The Perez family has been a lot of fun to travel with over the years and are always upbeat, professional and easy to work with. Karina's hula hoop act is first class and colorful, from each piece of her wardrobe to her well thought out routine. Angel always puts 110% into his juggling act. The family closes the performance with their high energy Russian swing. By the time Angel jumps through the hoop and lands in the net for the final time, most audiences are catching their breath between rapid rounds of applause. I once again have the extreme pleasure of sharing announcing duties with Simone. There is ne'er a dull moment while working with her. As I've said on more than one occasion, I know Dad would be so proud to see her carry in his footsteps.
Simone once said to me that I made her want to be a better performer. That is probably the highest compliment I've ever been paid. If that indeed is the case, I have to once again give all credit to Dad. As he taught and influenced me in performing, I only hope I have passed down what I've been taught. To quote a friend, "All I deserve is God's wrath. It is only because of his mercy and grace that I am blessed." Blessed indeed. And thankful beyond words can express that I love my work and work with those I love. And to think I may have been some positive influence on my own niece...that's icing on the proverbial cake.
PS...Speaking of cake...guess who is running the cook house again this season. Robin has outdone herself once again in the show's rolling kitchen. She made an orange dream cake that I am proud to say I ate way too much of! Stay tuned for cook house recipes...;)
GLAD TO HEAR THAT YOUR SEASON IS STARTING OFF GREAT! I'M SURE YOUR DAD IS LOOKING DOWN AT YOU ALL AND IS PROUD AS A PEACOCK! TELL RON & ROBIN I SAID HELLO. THE SHOW SOUNDS STRONG. I'M SURE YOU ALL WILL HAVE A GREAT TOUR~! TELL MEL RAY HI ALSO. BROTHER DICK (AS YOUR DAD USED TO SAY) :+)
ReplyDeleteGlad to read the update, Nat. Sounds as if things are moving along swimmingly on C&M!
ReplyDeleteYou are just so amazing and beautifully described the show in great, easy to follow details and sights and sounds....I love how you write Nats!!!! I wish I could visit the show now...but, feel in your posts that I am there!! Having met a lot of your Wonderful and beautiful family in person, in Gibsonton in January and seeing them do their acts was just so much excitement and we were blessed with their sweet kindness and hospitality!! You sure have a gorgeous family!!! Thanks so much for sharing all of them with us. We love our C&M Circus T Shirts and I have proudly worn mine several times already!! I will have to post a pic on FB!! Take care my sweet sister friend!! Love and luck and God's grace to you all!!! Karen & Billy Glenn
ReplyDelete