Monday, August 22, 2016

POODLES, PADDLEBOARDS & SUPERHEROES

As our travels continue to take us through the Badger State's scenic lakeside locales, today's setup in Winneconne allowed us to enjoy the placid waters of Lake Winneconne up close and personally. In fact, as the 24 hour man directed the house trailers onto the plush, green, grassy park, I could tell right away that I would be the lucky one to enjoy the closest view of the lake complete with docks, boats and bouys.  I don't know if my super sonic speedy stop on this morning's jump at my very favorite gas station, Kwik Trip played a part in my getting lakeside parking, but in any case, I wasn't complaining. (I can't pass up an opportunity to fit a 20oz cup of hazelnut cinnamon coffee in my truck's handy dandy drink holder!) 
  Sticking to my regular morning routine, I unloaded my garage and much of its contents, including my excited pack of pooches, two dog pens, shade cloths, props and a host of my other circus related necessities.  I found myself with a little extra time to clean and straighten a few things that needed attention. All the while, my two petite poodle mix brothers enjoyed some free time running around the empty ball field directly behind the trailer's massive garage door/ramp.  After the garage's appearance met my approval, I called the curly-haired pair with a high pitch tone with the intention of settling them back in their kennel for a cold drink of water and some rest. I expected to hear their tiny paws pouncing atop the ramp as they would quickly brake to meet me in the garage...but only one brother showed up.   Hmmmmmm....this was out of the ordinary.
  I began the search for Coconut alone scouring the wall along the canal a few stone throws from my rig.  When I got no response, I decided I'd lure him with his brother, Dobby (yes, Geo named this guy...lol!) which quickly yielded some doggie sounds from across the canal. At first, I thought it was a little comical to see my little guy peeking out of the bushes, scampering side to side, excited to see the familiar face of his little brother. My amusement was extremely short-lived when I realized he must have fallen in the water while rough housing with Dobby. He realized he wasn't able to escape the water the same way he'd gotten in, so he swam to the opposite side, crawled up the rocky edge and I'm sure hoped beyond all hopes he would be found. 
As luck would have it, if you believe in such things, a kind dog-walker happened along and noticed I was trying to figure a way to the other side of the canal to save my dog. He informed me that Coconut was actually on an island and there were no foot trails or bridges spanning the water to the other side. Well, Georgia & I thought since he swam across once, certainly he would be eager to swim back across to us. Georgia and I eagely called and called Coconut with high hopes he would splash back in the water and doggie paddle to safety. He dared a couple of times to swim, but the lily pads' stems seemed to hinder any progress he might make. I was desperate at this point!  How in the world was I ever going to get this little guy out of this pickle?? Georgia and I decided to call on the aid of family. 
  As I dialed Simone, I recalled she had packed her paddle board in the event we would play lots with a lake nearby. I wondered if she would let me use it to retrieve my stranded pup. I was a bit apprehensive about asking since there was a healthy collection of algae floating atop the water.  When she answered her phone, she quickly thanked me for the use of my coffee maker, as hers had made its final pot of coffee the day before. I reassured her it was my pleasure to help anyone in coffee distress, especially a fellow coffee-lovin' family member.  I shifted the conversation to my canine matter at hand, and before I could ask about the possibility of using her paddle board to get my dog, she offered not only its use, but she also offered to do the job for me. I cautioned her of the unpleasant algae situation and offered a few more times to get Coconut.  Simone cheerily reassured me she would be glad to help get him back to dry grassy circus land and even saw it as a bit of an adventure!  Needless to say, I breathed a sigh of relief. I'm sure if little Coconut knew of the plan we had in the works to help him, he would have done the same. 
  In no time at all, Simone came along, paddle board in hand and assessed the situation. She quickly unzipped the board's protective covering and then explained how she would paddle across the water, make every effort to get Coconut on the board, and bring him back to safety. She happily insisted on going solo but did say she would need help getting the board out of the water once the job was done. The algae didn't bother her one bit, as she said it would hose off easily. As we discussed the upcoming rescue attempt, little Coconut continued to squeak, yip, bark and pace side to side, everso anxious to get back to his brother and drier land. 
The rescue involved a couple of trips across the canal. Simone made every effort to coax Coconut to her, but he was so wound up, it seemed he wasn't thinking straight enough to realize he was only a couple feet away from help. He was antsy and anxious and just plain 
scared. After the first rescue attempt did not yield a wet hound, Simone paddled back to get Dobby to ride along. As the pair approached the opposite side, they met those awkward clusters of lily pads which prevented a clear way to the rocky water's edge. Coconut actually made his way on to the board at one point, only to work himself up so much that he jumped back in the water and swam back to the island. Our last resort was a treat. Since Coconut and Dobby don't have discriminating appetites, Georgia quickly retrieved a hot dog from our fridge; as soon as treat was in hand, Simone's hand, she paddled back across the water and was successful in luring Coconut on board with her. She stratigically managed a u-turn with paddle and wet dog like she had done it everyday. By this time, a few more circus peeps had gathered to see what was up and encourage Simone along. We were all relieved to see the rescue attempt succeed, but no one more grateful than me! Except maybe Coconut. 
  Now, if you know Simone, you know she is fun-loving, smart as a whip and has bubbly personality that is rather contagious.  She is always wiling to lend a hand, and I serioulsly don't know anyone who is more generous that she is. Simone is the kind of person who delights in giving and helping, especiallly to animals in need of help or in need of spoiling 😊 like no one I've ever seen. I sometimes halfway joke that she's my life coach. You tend to gravitate toward people who are not only positive but have a keen self-awareness and confidence, all of which Simone has. As a result, I find it reassuring to bounce ideas off her, or get her opinion when I need a fresh pair of eyes for anything from an outfit I'm trying to put together to a more serious life event. Always level-headed and honest in answer, I know I can trust her response, advice and opinion as being genuine and from the heart. These things are rare but so very appreciated. 
  After this morning's adventure, I caught Simone in cookhouse and thanked her again for all she had done to help Coconut. Once again, she happily came to the aid 
of an animal in need. That's extra special...
...not all super heroes have a red cape...some have red hair. 

6 comments:

  1. Love this story ! Lots of love and goodness !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading this post, Becky! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great adventures,some a little more frightening than others.....What's the odds of always having a paddle boat when ypu need one?!? Hahaha! WTG Simone!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whats the odds you have a paddle board when you need one,hahaha!!
    WTG,Simone

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy your wit and wisdom from the sawdust trail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all!! And thanks for reading my post!

    ReplyDelete