Well, it has been more than a year since I've written a thing on my blog. I have to say I have missed writing. The problem, which of course is not unique to me, is finding time. Time seems to escape my grasp at an alarming rate with each passing day. So, here I sit in the middle of Wisconsin in the middle of the season, enjoying a quiet evening making every effort to take time and do what I have been missing.
Over the last 12+ months, my kids and I have continued to enjoy circus life and all it has to offer: some of our favorite tiny towns that boast the quaintest of downtowns, the occasional local coffee shop pitstop, afternoons at the local swimming pool, and this season, the nearest UP lake. We've had the pleasure of adventuring through the ultra historic towns of Garbervillle, Steamboat Springs and Leadville last year. While this season's off-the-lot adventures have been fewer than last year's, we've enjoyed every moment we could to experience the sites, sounds and in some cases the smells of some outings with family & friends. Traversing the many terrains, crawling over and around the objects and larger-than-life sized sculptures, and climbing the winding stairways of the City Museum is something we haven't enjoyed since 2012! The tours in the dark and elusive caverns of Ohio kept my kids wide-eyed and almost speechless. Discovering cavern history, learning the differences between stalactites & stalagmites, and hoping to get a little good luck from the water drops delicately dripping from of the cave ceilings onto the kids' arms, hands and head are some highlights the kids came away with. Not long ago while we were in the water-side town of Munising, the entire show took to the waters of Lake Superior on a complimentary boat tour to see first-hand, the amazing and historic pictured rocks. The mineral seep near Mosquito Beach caught everyone's attention and the sky heights of Bridal Veil Falls took the breath away of more than a few circus tourists. The kind of creepy East Channel lighthouse would make a perfect set for a creepy thriller flick. We've made time for a movie or two this year and my kids and their cousins have taken extra time to chase down some of those ever elusive Pokemon characters. And of course, we've managed to deal with the high temperatures and heavy humidity in the cool blue waters of community pools here and there.
Monday is usually extra busy with errands, but we do try to break the mundane with a run through the kids' favorite fast food place or peruse the aisles of a local gift shop or boutique. Our days tend to be filled with some sort of household chore, laundry, trip to a feed store, the occasional visit to a vet and of course weekly grocery outings. The confines of time can make it challenging to fit a practice in, or extra time to spruce up props, or take Tootie to the park to push her on the swings. But, it has taken me years to learn I can't do everything in one day and some things have to go by the wayside in order to get that practice in or a trip to the local car wash to scrub off the truck. I have to remind myself that going full tilt is going to burn me out...pacing myself is still something I have to force myself to do. I've gotten a little more used letting the house work sit a bit; it'll still be there when I come home from the park with Tootie, or finish ogling the latest fashion, hair & make up trends online with Georgia.
I'm a slow learner, I suppose. I'll get it right one day. But, time waits for no one, as they say, and I am learning more everyday the value of spending time enjoying life with those I love and doing things I love. My kids will be on their own and gone one day. So, if I can't make time stand still or even slow it down, I can soak it up with a new appreciation. I'm telling myself more and more, it's not always work before pleasure because like a shot, it's the end of the day, and though my house may be pristine, my kids are asleep, and I realize I missed out on spending that fleeting time with them. Some lessons are indeed learned the hard way. Make time for the people you love. And, make time for the things you love to do before an entire year goes by...
No comments:
Post a Comment