I grew up in suburban Ohio and Florida. Farr Hills Avenue, Maiden Lane and Madruga Avenue were Brady Bunchesque, to say the least. They were indeed neighborhoods, "where everybody knows your name." Bike riders, barbecue grills and school bus stops. No complaints here. I thoroughly enjoyed growing up in "Pleasant Valley Sunday."
When we bought our place here in the country in 2002, there was a slight feeling of isolation at first. Town is 13 miles away either way you go. I can barely see my neighbor's house to the right and I can't see my neighbor's house on the left. Our close friends live two houses down and I have to dial our area code to call them. It all took a little getting used to back then. By Christmas of our first winter break I started to appreciate country life and consider this place home.
Because our time here is limited, it has taken me many years to get the inside and the outside of our house to match our environment. The country is serene. It gives me a feeling of comfort that, for me, is matchless. As Georgia says, it rates high on the 'cozy meter.' Sometimes a woodpecker's labor breaks the day's silence. An occasional passing car or a far off siren from the Faught firehouse may also cause one of us to look out our front picture window. Late night silence is sometimes interrupted by the baying hunting dogs that live in the houses on the other side of the lake behind us. More often, it's the singing coyotes that get our attention long after we've left the dinner table. When we come home in October the leaves are already starting to litter the soon-to-turn-brown grass. Autumn around here is not quite as lush as our neighbors tell us the spring and summer months are. I've never seen our rose bushes in full bloom and have only seen the grapes on our vine in a picture that our friends took. But, I don't mind. I love it. It's pretty to me.
Now, it's full blown winter. Snow came around 3:00pm yesterday which brought a perfect Christmas day over the top. Since the snow around here goes as quickly as it comes, I went a little camera crazy. Georgia and I agree that the snow can make almost anything pretty or prettier.
We hope you enjoy the pictures that follow.
 |
| We see this huge tree going to and coming from town. |
 |
| Today at the back of the pasture. |
 |
| Sui and Kip |
 |
| My dog practice area. |
 |
| Icicles and blue Christmas lights on a bush in my front yard. |
 |
| Faught Union Church. |
 |
| My kids' trapeze. Compliments of my friend, Sara Greene. |
 |
| This nest has been on my porch for years. It's been a long time since we've seen the yellow & gray bird that built it. |
 |
| Paulina's horse, Wyatt. He is as gentle as a lamb despite his almost 2,000 pounds. |
 |
| Another critter that is as gentle as a lamb. |
 |
| The side yard. |
 |
| Ready to make snow angels. And throw snowballs. |
 |
| Near the pond. I will put this picture in a frame someday soon. |
That sounds like heaven Natalie. It would bother me not to see my flowers in the spring and summer. But I know you would not have it any other way. Great blog!
ReplyDelete