Sitting at our family's computer desk in my living room, I have perfect view of my snow laden front yard. The blue & white glow from the snow flake lights draped over the bushes out front add to the charm of the Christmas atmosphere. In the window I can see the reflection of my over sized reading chair tucked in the opposite corner near a floor lamp and a footstool. I have looked out of my front window at this scene several times in the last few days, and it has become a picture I have fondly painted in my memory bank. As my kids both lie sleeping on the sofas, the cat is curled up on the entryway bench, purring away. Five of my dogs are protecting the yard from what canine terror lurks in the snowy branches lining the ranch across the street. Add to all of this, the gentle hum of the furnace and somehow, it all seems so very Norman Rockwell-ish. To me, this is one step away from heaven.
Going full tilt on the circus for 8 1/2 months, you need a balance. You need a place to exhale for a while. I am a believer in life is what you make it, and the days are what you make them, and I have finally learned to apply those beliefs mostly everyday. It's one thing to know, it's another thing to practice what we know. It's not always easy when kids fight, dogs run off for days on end and high winds blow the back screen door half off, leaving yet another project on my to-do list. But, not letting life's little trials and spills ruin my whole day has taken practice. It has been well worth the effort as I have tried to cultivate a relaxed environment for the kids and me here. I've learned that not only is tomorrow a new day and a new chance to start
over, but the next hour is a new hour and new chance to start
over...talk about 'serenity now.' Since kids are like sponges, it's important that they soak up good habits and lessons that will stick with them their whole lives.
Last year I said I was going to enjoy my 40's. With that I realized I had to look at things differently. In reprogramming my mindset, regrets became valuable lessons learned that I would not trade. Memories have become more precious than just about any material possession. And many material possessions have made their way to the Goodwill. More time has been spent watching Goosebumps with the kids and less time has been taken up concerning myself over diesel prices and how many trips to town I'm going to make in the week. That whole 'living in the moment' phrase I was kind of tired of hearing has hit home and feels pretty good.
I was thinking not long ago, that I have all the ingredients for a happy life. Broken screen doors, runaway dogs, head-butting kids, errands and to-do lists are all a part of the recipe. Add, new perspectives, lessons learned, cherished memories, exhaling, playing with kids, a cozy little house in the woods and mix well.
NATALIE YOU'VE CERTAINLY GOT THE BULL BY THE HORN. IT'S TOO BAD THAT OTHER FOLKS CAN'T THINK THE SAME WAY. THIS MIGHT BE A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE IF THEY DID! DICK
ReplyDelete