/ |
| Part Rott/Heeler, my Sui dog has no place else to chillax except for in close proximity to practice. Where sometimes ground score treats can be found. That's Otto on his seat. |
![]() |
| Pete II |
Practicing with new dogs can lead to some pleasant surprises. This was the case when I worked with Pete II and Benji yesterday. These guys are about 8 months old now and their personalities couldn't be more different. Their mother Charlotte is a natural-born performer. She's a mini Spitz with the typical athletic shape and sweet spirit Spitz are known for. She's got a quiet strength and is a little on the stubborn side. But these qualities all work for her and her job in the show and her ranking the doggie hierarchy.
Pete II is the largest of Charlotte's offspring. He's also the most like his mama. It took him a few minutes to figure out how to get on his seat and he was so excited to get his jackpot treat he slid off his seat a few times. After a few minutes he figured out if he remained calm and stayed on his seat his treats would go from jackpot to mega-jackpot! He is a natural at sitting up. I was amazed to see him sit up so easily and steadily on his seat! His paws perfectly positioned and perfectly even.
Next I worked with the smallest of the three boys, Benji. He's got a very sweet expression and is very shy. It took a while for him to warm up to me and only recently has he let me pick him up and spend time with him without his brothers and Charlotte. He's still a little timid when I retrieve him from the pen. But once I pick him up he stays in my arms and as I speak to him in a calm tone and massage under his neck. I showed Benji how to get on his seat and he instantly hopped up like he'd done it a hundred times. What an awesome surprise! I tested his ability to sit up and he was as natural a Pete II. I appears that I have the making of two circus stars on my hands!
I also took some time to hone some behaviors with Dixie II and Otto during practice. These two have worked out so well on the road and all the dogs really love the attention they get from the audience, especially Otto the ham. I look forward to seeing how the new boys will react when they finally do appear in the act. It's one of those things that you just can't predict. There's really no telling exactly how a new dog will work out until it's showtime. You can practice all day long in a variety of locations and environments, but it is the show that tells the proverbial tale.
Tomorrow I will work with Freddie. He's the loudest and most friendly and playful of the boys. Since all of these guys are also natural born high jumpers there are hoops and hurdles in their future. But the time for seeing where all of their talents lie is a "ways off." I'm anxious to keep working with the boys and watch them progress and as I put it, learn how to use their brains.
Dogs have been domesticated for a lot of years and have worked along side man. Like us, they need a purpose, a job, boundaries & rules, and they need to know their place in the world.
/
No comments:
Post a Comment