Friday, May 6, 2011

Taking a Breather

  Bakersfield brings to mind Buck Owens.  The country music icon with his original Bakersfield sound inspiring many country music artists throughout the years.  I've been a fan of Buck's since I was a kid, but never made it to Bakersfield until I came to Culpepper. 
  This San Joaquin Valley city offers plenty to see and do.  With perfect weather on a perfect grassy lot our stay has been eventful.  Not only because of the arrival of the new tent but because of the shopping, movies and trips to the playground/sprinkler park everyone has been able to enjoy.  But I think the most appealing thing about this multiple day stand isn't just the Starbucks, hair & nail salons, movie theater and Von's up the street, but the sleep we are able to catch up on.  Speaking for myself, I mostly keep the schedule of my two year old.  There are days that no matter how much I'd like to take a nap, she does not.  And some nights that no matter how much I'd like to get to bed before 11:00pm, she does not.  So being able to sleep in is the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear a two or three day stand is coming up.
  Not only do I look forward to catching up on a few winks, but I really love the extra time I get to spend with the kids without feeling so rushed at times.  It's nice to put the dogs in their pen after the second show and look forward to spending more time with the girls instead of rushing to put the props away, putting the dogs in their traveling kennels, making sure p.j.s are on, the house is packed down and teeth are brushed all before the generator goes off.  Multiple day stands offer a nice change of pace and a chance to take a breath.  These are the days I can really enjoy watching a dvd with Georgia or playing ball with Tootie because I can be all there; I don't  have to think about how much time I have left before I have to get some routine task taken care of.
  While the big city attractions are fun, it's in just being together that we make our own fun.  Our morning stroll to Starbucks with Simone, Lana & our resident clown Melvino was just as enjoyable as it could be.  And playing with the girls and Noah in the inflatable pools was tons of fun!  We did get a little extra sun, but that won't keep us from refilling the pool with fresh water tomorrow and loading up on extra sunblock!  Toot had a super time on the swings and there was lots of laughter coming from the sprinkler park.  Tomorrow, after horse shoes, I thought I'd surprise the girls with a picnic in the park.  We'll have plenty of time.

          "Love one another." -- Arnie Barr  
            "Pace yourself." -- Ava Houle

No comments:

Post a Comment