Thursday, May 15, 2014

George Bailey

  Preparing for Christmas took my mind off the ice storm and its effects to my property.  While I was able to haul most of the fallen branches to the back of my pasture where I wouldn't be able to see them on a daily basis, others were struggling with having to hire professionals to cut, trim and haul off  branches torn down from the storm.  With every trip to town it seemed I would see more and more houses with neatly stacked piles of evenly cut branches positioned at the edge of property lines awaiting pick ups.  On our way out of town in mid March, I saw a few tree service trucks pulling utility trailers full of wood.  Hard to believe all those weeks after the icy weather that Paris residents were still cleaning up the mess. 
  Shortly before Christmas I discovered our local theater had scheduled one showing on Christmas Eve of my very favorite movie, It's A Wonderful Life.  I have been a Jimmy Stewart fan since I first discovered his films in the late '80's.  I worked at a video store where I rented Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and I was an instant fan.  Between Rear Window, Mr. Hobbs Takes A Vacation and his role in The Shootist, it's pretty near impossible for me to choose which role I could say is my second favorite after that of George Bailey.  Maybe it's the comforting believability of his acting, or the fact that he puts me in mind of the grandfather who raised me, or maybe both, but there was always something about Jimmy Stewart's acting that made me feel happy. And, sort of like I knew him.  It's A Wonderful Life is a movie that I, like  many others watch every Christmas season.  I've probably seen it over a dozen times.  And, like many others, I have cried each and every time at the end.  Just thinking about what Clarence wrote in the book makes me well up just a little.  Because it's true. It's a Biblical principle.  It is a truth that has been lost by some people.  But, I can say, with all honesty, it is a truth I am reminded of daily when I log on to my Facebook page and am able to connect and communicate with friends and family.  Corny?  Yes. True?? Very.
   Watching this movie on the big screen with my girls was an event that is etched in my mind forever.  My oldest, like myself has a fondness and deep appreciation for the past, particularly the Victorian age up to about the 1940's.  We have talked about what we think living in that span of time was like. I have relayed many stories from my grandparents and other relatives who have given me first-hand  and  second-hand accounts of daily life way back in the proverbial day.  We wonder what everything looked like in color because pictures and movies are all black and white. :)
  Georgia instantly fell in love with the movie and asked if I could fix her hair with the big braid like Donna Reed wore. Tootie's attention was held throughout; she really loved when the dance floor opened up and the dancers fell in the pool.  Georgia appreciated the humor, the clothes and décor and we still say, "I wish I had a million dollars! Hot dog!" every once in a while.  We felt sorry when the druggist slapped George and made his ear bleed and we smiled big when he helped Mr. Martini get his first house.  We were angered when Mr. Potter told George he was worth more dead than alive and when Nick didn't recognize him.  We cheered along when  George shouted, "Merry Christmas, you old savings and loan!"  And everyone watching sniffed and wiped their eyes at the end when George read the message.  The message I think we should remind ourselves of from time to time.  I don't need to write it.  We all know what this movie speaks of.  I have tried to convey it to my kids since they could understand the concept; everyone matters; everyone counts; everyone can make a difference. 
And, life is truly wonderful, even when it's hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment