Friday, November 23, 2012

Colors

  As much as I love writing, I just don't carve out the time I need to keep up with my blog on a daily or weekly basis.  I have no intention of letting my writings go, but the best I can do on the average is once or twice a month. Rest assured, the couple hours I eek out to tap away at the keyboard and look back on the last few weeks are hours I very much look forward to. 
  Before we laid off for the winter, there were a couple of projects I had my mind set on getting done before the spring.  To my very pleasant surprise, I managed to lay into my interior design projects right away and got them wrapped up long before the time I'd allowed to finish them.
  First project: my bedroom.  The toasty brown walls along with the eggplant and ivory accents match the new bedding's color scheme perfectly.  My niece, April spent a couple of hours painting a custom design above my sleigh bed that beautifully picks up the dandelion motif of the comforter.  Playing around with the furniture placement and strategically placing a large area rug has completely enlarged my former cracker box-sized bedroom.  The warm welcoming dark neutrals make it a little difficult to step out of the room once the 6:15am alarm hits. It only takes about 45 minutes to help prepare Georgia for the school day.  After packing her lunch, putting breakfast on the table and helping her care for her extra long hair we get ourselves out to the end of driveway within minutes of the bus' arrival.  After I 'press play' on the coffee maker, I high tail it back underneath the dandelions till the brewing has ended...the first daily coffee time commences.
  Next on the list: the bathroom.  Again, stark white, unpainted walls made this room feel cold even when it wasn't.  After debating for quite a while on a color scheme, I took my inspiration from a lovely set of towels with a multicolored striped pattern.  Blue-green is not what I'd have normally chosen to put on the walls.  But, this color works well and gives the spacious bathroom a spa feeling.  Ivory and cinnamon colored paints pick up some of the other shades in the bath towels' color scheme, and nicely bring a warmth to the overall design.  I lucked out the other day and snapped up some candles and frames to complete the whole shabang.  I spotted one of those spa sound effects players at the store the other day...I'll put that on my Christmas list, I think...
  I plan on taking a little time away from the paint and brushes before starting in on the play room.  I have thoughts of a cheery orange or maybe a sweet bright purple to add to the future fun-filled feel of the play room.  But, color schemes will have to wait for now.  With other things to tend to like revamping the dog practice area and setting practice schedules for the dogs and foot juggling, the play room project will get underway as soon as I can get my calendar under control. 
  As I have mentioned on more than one occasion, interior design is a long time passion of mine.  Color is important.  It brings forth feelings and can enhance emotions.  Some of my projects haven't turned out quite like I had originally anticipated.  But they have all come out better than I'd ever dreamed. :)
 
   

1 comment:

  1. I remember when you'd prepare for work when you lived here.Remember working at the mall? You'd show up with everything perfectly matching...coordinating simple drresses with exquisite shoes...just perfectly put together! I can well imagine you decorating just like that.You could put a crocker sack on and somehow you'd make it look chic! Glad you enjoy all that decorating...it sure isn't my forte!! Love to you and the bears.....snuggle in to a warm,welcoming home for the winter!

    ReplyDelete