Saturday, July 28, 2012

These Are A Few Of My Favorite Things

  The last few weeks have provided an extra special treat for the kids and me.  Our travels through portions of Michigan, including my favorite, the U.P., and Wisconsin has allowed us several to visit beaches reminiscent of Florida spots where vacationers sail, swim, sunbathe and generally 'get away from it all.'  As much as I've traveled through the mitten and Wisconsin in my time with different circuses, I was pleasantly surprised to discover many wonderful quaint resort villages along the great lake shores.  From beach bumming in Hessel to para-sailing on an 800' line 400 vertical feet over the the water with my nieces in Boyne City we've enjoyed all of our 'get away from it all' hours. These lake spots are like paradise to the girls and me.
  The beach setting immediately makes me feel like the rest of the world is far away.  It takes me back to our summer family vacations with my grandparents and sisters & brother.  We made the drive from Dayton to Pompano Beach, Daytona Beach and Orlando many times.  My very favorite times were always checking into a new hotel and hitting the pool with my sister Lauren while our grandparents were still taking the luggage off the roof rack of the station wagon.  My brother would sometimes catch us in the shallow end and taunt us with the Jaws theme as he bear hugged us all the way to the deep end.  Our cries were usually met by Marc getting a verbal scolding from our grandmother to let us go...no need to try Grandma's verbal warnings, we all knew better! ;)  Of course no Florida vacation is complete without a trip or two to the white sandy beaches.  I can still smell the salty ocean water and love the sound of the waves. (I used to have an alarm clock with ocean sound effects. I should get a new one.)  Grandpa taught us how to swim in those hotel pools but the best was when he showed us how to ride the ocean waves, or body surf I guess it's called. 
   I somehow had the presence of mind to bring coffee which enhanced many of our lake outings.  Looking from behind my favorite sunglasses, I reclined on the picnic blanket on top of the dry sand we'd smoothed out.  I watched the girls play with Lana on the wet sand as they created elaborate sand castles, dug deep watery holes, hunted for fancy rocks and made sand angels.  The shallow lakes were pretty warm and invited the girls to test their water skills for long water-logged stretches.  I wondered if the joy I felt watching them was the same joy that welled up in my grandparents as they watched us many times do all the same things on the Florida beaches. Those pleasant lessons, collecting shells, finding sand dollars and creating sand designs were all pleasant memories I conjured up as I watched my kids.  
  We managed a few stops at local ice cream parlors and souvenir shops such as the Summer Store.  These shops boasted the latest in brightly colored and flower patterned summer beach wear, flip flops, floppy hats and low beach chairs. (Oh and there were fridge magnets too!)  All very reminiscent of the commerce along the shores of Ft. Myers Beach.
  Our time around the great lakes is coming to a close, but we are still taking advantage of nearby beaches when we can.  Our gift shop souvenirs will of course help keep our memories fresh of the great lakes.  Some of the best reminders didn't come from the shops.  Actually, the girls' and my favorite souvenirs came straight from the beaches themselves.  The colorful rocks and shells and will make a nice addition to our house in Texas. 
 

1 comment:

  1. You paint a lovely picture of the romps with your bears! Making valuable and precious memories for your own children You are blessed to be able to have these working "vacation".Love your blog....one day you and the bears will look back...reading about the adventures you had and will enjoy them all again in your mind's eye.

    ReplyDelete