The holidays always come with great anticipation, especially for my kids! I have to admit, at almost 42, I still get excited about Christmas. I love to be surprised and love to see the look on my kids' faces when the big day finally comes. They screech and squeal in utter delight when they find what all that brightly colored paper has been hiding.
This December the girls and I made a special trip to the sunshine state. (My first vacation since I was 14...yikes!) Not only did we spend every kids' favorite day of year with my family in Gibsonton, but we also had the pleasure of visiting the nation's oldest city, and my old stomping grounds, St. Augustine. On December 21st my oldest niece Simone married her long-time boyfriend in the court yard of the historical Lightner Museum in downtown St. Augustine. During the holidays the entire downtown area is covered in the most beautiful lights I've ever seen. Every tree, shrub, yards of fences and dozens of light poles twinkle from dusk to dawn magnifying the beauty of St. Augustine one hundred fold. It's breathtaking. The dazzling Christmas lights and perfect weather helped create a fairytale-like feel for Simone & Trey's wedding. Every detail of the ceremony was well thought out: the acoustic guitar and violin music was soft, emotional and very fitting to the entire atmosphere. Birds of paradise were among the floral arrangements and the original wedding vows were recited upon a small bridge over trickling waters home to coy fish. The landscaping was lush, fragrant and more than added to the paradise feel. The reception was held inside the museum and again every detail was carefully planned. The kids were happily occupied at their table with their individual goodie boxes filled with crayons, puzzles, crazy eights cards and mini versions of classic plastic toys. All of the name cards were carefully tucked on top of mini Adirondack chairs holding custom and yummy smelling citrus lip balms with the event printed on the label. The caterers outdid themselves with their wide variety of entrees, sides, and appetizers. The wedding was fairytale perfection and was more than a pleasure to attend. This event was also an occasion to visit with old friends and family members we don't often get to see. And as I've said before, catching up in person is always more fun than "virtual catching up."
During our visit to St. Augustine I was able to meet with dear friends from high school. 1988 seems like only a few years ago and I certainly don't feel much different than I did at 18. I met my super former classmates at a tiny off the beaten path eatery that had some of the best soup and homemade bread ever. We caught up, compared notes on old times, husbands, kids, jobs, etc. Our visit was all too short but very cherished. Since we plan to make annual trips to Florida, I have high hopes of visiting Melissa, Nico, Gretchen and Siobhan next winter! :)
I took the time to show my kids around much of St. Augustine. I took the girls past our old house in the Shores housing development. The house has been well-kept. It seemed smaller than I remembered. We also enjoyed the famous pristine beaches. Lauren and I piled her boys, my girls, our niece Lana and our nephew Noah and my dog Sui in our cars and headed out on one of many of the sunny afternoons to 10th Street. We watched the kids wade waist deep in water too chilly for me past my ankles. I collected shells with the kids. We recalled being kids on one of our many family vacations and the games we played on the beach and in the water. We both agreed that it was awesome to watch our kids play the way we did and to see the beauty of the beach through their eyes. We also agreed that it just couldn't have been more than 30 years since that was us in waist deep water.
We did our fair share of touring through the narrow and sometimes cobble stone down town streets. I was pleasantly surprised to see a few shops still flourishing from the 1980's. But, most shops & cafes I remember have changed ownership and some shops are completely gone. The St. George Pharmacy is now the Bunnery. It offers home cooked breakfasts & lunches and excellent coffee drinks. The mini mall next door has two huge front store display windows. On the right used to be a frilly dress shop called Trinkets & Things. On the left was Merlin's Magic Den. My dad enjoyed creating his magic shop's window displays. I remember him carefully fanning out Svengali decks, displaying magician's silks, magic wands, large magic props and close up magic coins. His window designs were always sharp, splashy and very eye-catching. Merlin's Magic Den is now a souvenir shop of sorts. Trinket's & Things is now a t-shirt shop called Natalie's. What are the odds?! :)
Time didn't allow us to enjoy all of the old city sites. So next year the girls and I plan on trips to the old fort, the Fountain of Youth, Ripley's Museum and I promised a trip or two on the horse-drawn carriages. But, tops on the adventure list for our 2012 winter St. Augustine vacation is surfing lessons!!
I haven't been home since 2006. Christmas was always big. A live tree is kind of a tradition and this year's was live and very plump! Presents overflowing from underneath promised the kids (and the kids at heart) a memorable Christmas morning! But the most memorable thing was the fact the we were all together for the first time in a very long and we all shared in our new nephew Christopher's very first Christmas! In fact, this visit was my first time seeing him! (This happy little guy slept right through the gift opening!) The house full gives way to organized chaos. So, some adults doled out the over-stuffed stockings and gifts to the rightful recipients and others helped the kids unwrap, open boxes and make sure little parts & pieces to games & toys weren't accidently discarded with the wrapping paper. With years of experience we manage Christmas mornings with efficiency and lots-o-fun!
Robin & Ron bought a place just up the street about a year ago. Being on the road makes it a little difficult to furnish a house in only a few months. It can take a few winters to make your house your home. Robin got very lucky at the fancy second hand shop in Brandon as she found some beautiful furnishings, dinnerware and accessories. I had real fun giving her some design ideas on a couple of unfinished walls and rooms. She left two walls bare on purpose waiting for my arrival to give her ideas on what to do with them! To me, a bare wall is like an artist's blank canvas! I love me some interior design!! :)
One of the perks of our Florida vacation was catching up with Facebook friends Jack Ryan, Ken Young and Karen & Billy Glenn. Jack and Ken have both pleasantly surprised me with additions to my fridge magnet collections. Their hospitality on our trip through the panhandle highly impressed Georgia and so did the send off with sweets and homemade spicy chex-mix!! As we checked into the hotel they recommended Georgia remarked that our visit was awesome! I emphatically agreed!! During our stay at home we caught up with Karen and Billy. We met at a Starbucks which I joke is one of my "home away from homes." Karen & Billy had never been to one. I think they may be converts We visited over coffee drinks and cake pops and the time went by way too fast! We were lavished with goodies & gifts and a huge teddy bear the girls now sleep with every night. Thank you to all of my Facebook friends and we hope to see you next year!
Saying good bye to my family is never easy. Even though I'll see most of my folks in a couple of months when we start on Culpepper, I also can't help but think about the next time I'll see Lauren, Hashi, Tristan and Christopher. I hope long before Christmas vacation 2012.
Happy New Year everyone!!
Vacation pictures forthcoming.
Very nice Natalie!!!! Hey Jack, Ken, Billy and I made the blog!!! But, no picture of us with the newly named "Theo" Bear...? OH well, we understand..so much work and so little time. We were so blessed to get to meet you and little Tootie, but missed Georgia and the doggie. Next time, maybe we can have more time and meet you in a park or something. Now, we have to go visit St Augustine...you made it even more inviting with your wonderful descriptions!! I want to wait for all the gorgeous lights around the holidays!! You busy on writing the book too, I hope? Love and hugs to you all!! Karen and Billy
ReplyDeletePS cannot wait to see y'all next year!! Happy season to y'all on the road..Hey, post some pics of the new toy hauler please!! xoxoxoxox