Well, our run through New Mexico came & went and here we are on the second day of a much anticpated two-day stand in Arizona. Two-day stands are few & far between; these are the days when people catch up on much needed sleep and try to get in an exrta practice session or wash their trucks & trailers. The girls & I opted for a girls day out and a Starbucks to boot! This is one of my favorite states. My best friend and her family live in historic Wickenburg. We'll visit with them very soon! The scenery is much like New Mexico but a little more colorful and the winds aren't quite as drastic. I always enjoy coming though Arizona and am reminded of the vacations my grandparents took back in the '60's & '70's to the Phoenix area. (I can remember them speaking fondly of their time here. They didn't mind the dry heat, they loved the history and almost made the Phoenix area their place to retire. Instead, they settled in St. Augustine, FL, their other favorite vacation place.) In sticking with my plan to study each state we travel through, Georgia and I will do research on the Grand Canyon State, and will hopefully be able to do some exploring while we here.
Well, over the last week or so, we've made some fairly decent jumps from town to town. The weather's been beautiful, warm as a blanket during the day and cool enough to keep the windows open at night. Most of the lots within the first 30 days are gravely and sandy so I go through lots of shavings in an effort of keep the dogs clean & presentable for the show. We do have the pleasure of grassy lots here & there within the first month and they are much appreciated, but we won't be seeing too much more green till we travel further west.
During the last week or so we have celebrated Georgia's 8th birthday. It's an extra special day for our family because she share's Robin's birthday as well. Genevieve turned two a few days later and though we gave them one present each on their actual birthdays, their party is scheduled for Easter Sunday. (My very favorite holiday!) Traveling further west, we not only come across more of our coveted Bank of America and Starbucks but the Wal-Mart Supercenters are plentiful. (Or as I refer to them, the Wal-Mart machines.)
I was fortunate enough to spend Sunday a week ago at a 24 hour Wal-Mart and was able to knock out my Easter shopping and birthday shopping in one night! I have so far successfully been able to hide the presents and Easter goodies from the girls. Although they know the party is tomorrow after East dinner and the egg hunt, they have no idea what they will be getting for their birthdays! And, as an extra special treat, the folks from Kelly-Miller sent the girls presents that are scheduled to arrive in Monday's town! Thanks to everyone on K.M.!
In the last week I also learned a dear family friend has suffered a heart attack. Rick is a big circus fan and is probably one of the most generous people we know. When he comes to visit us it seems free tickets to the show and circus t-shirts & souvenirs, etc... just aren't enough to match the generous goodies he bestows on his annual circus trips. Rick is of Polish decent has knows all the best places to get authentic fresh made polish sausage. He has a line on the best bakery in his area and every year brings us a "bumpy cake." It's the best chocolate cake I think I've ever had. Not only that, he brings the girls all kinds of fun stuff. He keeps up on their latest interests and even though I tell him not to, he brings them tons of goodies. Georgia says when Rick visits it's like Christmas in summer. When we found out what had happened to him a few days ago, we were stunned. In all the years we've known Rick he is always upbeat, always positive and cheery, no matter what. Needless to say, when we spoke during his hospital stay, he maintained his usual optimistic outlook. Very inspirational, to say the least! We wish Rick a very speedy recovery and though we won't get to see him on this tour, we will continue to stay in touch via phone, e mail, etc...
Since my last post , I have to say the dog act has improved a lot. Things are really smoothing out and it is starting to feel like it used to when I had my original line up. I've taken the leashes off the new dogs and feel confident about their behaviors. They are definitely ready to move on to new behaviors. I'm very excited about that!
Tootie is growing by leaps and bounds. Her vocabulary is also growing bit by bit. Today she surprised me with her version of Ring Around the Rosie. I came in from filling the water tank and she took my hands and we circled in the kitchen. When she got to the "all fall down" part, we happily dropped on the floor and she laughed like crazy!
Georgia has been keeping busy with her friends and cousins on the show. After she hits the school books she usually darts out the door and I hardly see her for most of the morning. Between riding bikes, skate boards, scooters, exploring the lots and playing Wii, she rarely has a dull moment. I look forward to our nature walks when we get further west and play near more parks with trails. Of course, she'll have to pencil me in to her social calendar! LOL
Well, tomorrow's a big day and we head out tonight for Monday's town. It's about time to get ready for the show and the 5 dozen eggs I am boiling for the hunt tomorrow are almost done. As I said, Easter is by far my favorite holiday. Spring's my favorite time of year. I think it's extra special both of the girls were born in the spring near Easter. More to come on tomorrow's festivities...
HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!
Happy Easter Natalie to you and yours.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever seen a circus blog like yours - almost like a travelog through America! Very enjoyable. Thanks for taking the time.
Happy Easter to you sister...I hope you have a wonderful day and a great party for the girls...Hash and I are having our Easter Dinner here at the house with Hash's family and Lee & Judy...Looking forward to it....I love you and hope you have a happy day...
ReplyDeleteLauren
All great Easter wishes to the Cainan ladies!
ReplyDeleteJack
Thank you so much everyone! I hope you all have a wonderful and blessed day! Let us not forget because of His death, we live!
ReplyDeleteNice reading as usual! I hope all is well and enjoying the sights on AZ!
ReplyDeleteBill