It usually takes me a week or two to get settled into a routine. Routines are very important to just about every circus person I know. Personally, when I get out of my daily routine, it can throw me off and make me feel like I am running late all day long. Get up early, get to the lot, get parked, set up trailer, unload and take care of dogs, kids, breakfast, putting the props in the tent, etc....and the day goes on.
This year teaching Georgia is a part of my daily routine. I had the pleasure of teaching two of my neices a couple of years ago. Today there's the option of school on cd rom which does help save on the space that is always at a premium in trailers. Having taught school on computer, my niece and I noticed there was no room for more than one correct answer. There were several times Paulina's answer on a test was counted wrong on the computer when it could have been counted correct. I remember telling her that when you take a test, it's not always necessarily about giving the right answer, but giving the answer they are looking for. Right now we are using school books and I think that's what we'll stick with. Georgia enjoys school and is eager to learn and easy to teach.
Practicing with the dogs is also a part of my routine. Although I don't usually do a full practice session on a daily basis, I can almost always squeeze in 10 minutes here & there during the day. Some practice is better than no practice.
It doesn't take long to figure out what time I need to start getting ready for the show. Almost everyone I know gets ready very early the first week or so. I'm usually in make up and wardrobe far earlier than necessary at the beginning of the season. Especially if I am on a new show. I try to get ready in plenty of time in case something unexpected crops up. It only took one time for the dogs to mysteriously get loose or for one of the kids to suddenly need my immediate attention when I'm half made up and I learned to try to allow for enough time, just in case... But I admit, there are days here & there when I get a little lazy, take a risk, and get in the shower at the very last minute...most of the time I get lucky and am able to make it in plenty of time. But there have a few times I've woefully regretted those lazy days.
One of the highlights of our daily routine is my sister's cookhouse! Robin prepares two meals a day and has it down to a science. I love the fact that she still puts the flag out when cookhouse is ready. I try not to check her menu because I like to be surprised. I've already come to terms with the fact that I will gain weight this season! And happily so! :) The other day she made caramel cake for dessert. Need I say more?
Then of course the show is obviously the biggest part of everyone's daily routine. I still can't recognize the music so I don't know what's going on in the show when I'm getting the dogs ready. Usually I pay attention to the music and there will come a certain part when I know it's time to pull the wagon to the back door. I think everyone subconsciencly listens to that 'certain part of the music' that tells them they're almost on. I'm sure it won't be long till I'll be able recognize that 'certain part.'My favorite part of our routine is when everything's packed away, the slides are in, the dogs are sleeping and the girls & I are snuggled up in bed watching d.v.d.s. We usually have a snack or two. Or three. Georgia's been picking out the 'nightly film features.' (Chandlerism) It's been lots of Simpsons & Disney as of late but last night she cheerfully surprised me with my favorite cartoon, Eloise. It was so good we watched it twice!
Natalie, I do not know if you will remember us, but my man Jason and I sent you a dog from Illinois. I think your oldest was about 2 or 3 years old at the time. She took a shine to that dog, you told us. In any case, I was surprised to stumble onto something with your name in it, and found you here. My Eski (Snowy) passed away 3 years ago, I miss him so, but have a new pup that lights me up in a big way (no more Eskies, he's a Basenji!) I will watch to see if your group comes through our area this year, if you do we will come and see you! You can write me back at Mirandarr8@aol.com if you want. Take care and give those dogs some earscratching from us!
ReplyDeleteNow you'll have to get into the routine of blogging regularly! LOL
ReplyDeleteAnd don't forget the photos!
Hope your season goes well.
I could never forget you all! Beau has been doing great and looks so pretty in the show. As I mentioned in the e mail, he does look a bit like a bear, lots of people have made that comment over the years and he's got the sweetest expression of all the dogs! Hope we see you all this season!
ReplyDeleteSteve-O, you are so right! I have some new ideas for some entries...trying to get my stuff together to I can get them published! LOL! Hope your season goes well too!